Become ITR Certified®
Learn how to identify and resolve the root cause of traumatic stress symptoms. The ITR courses are available to anyone who wants to learn to “Resolve the trauma first and see what's left."
We want to invest in you!
Take Your Reboot Call to Re-certify
ITR® Coursework Approved
Many courses are approved by both the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) and the WV Social Worker's Board (WVSWB). Each course will be specific if it is approved for CEs or not.
The evidence-supported ITR takes a different approach to resolving trauma. Instead of “What’s wrong with a person?” the question becomes “What’s happened to the person?” and "Process the trauma first and see what's left."
ITR uses Graphic Narrative™ to give structure, words, and historical context to fragmented traumatic memories without the individual reliving the events - and it gives the story an END! With Externalized Dialogue™, a person resolves issues with parts of themselves that hold onto negative beliefs and behaviors caused by the traumatic event. ITR is a holistic, non-invasive, gentle but effective trauma recovery approach.
What else is different about ITR Program?
- Time to resolution – hours vs years: Unlike many other approaches, resolving a single traumatic event can happen quickly, even in as little as a 60-120 minute session.
- Integrates seamlessly with other therapeutic approaches: Resolve the trauma first and see what's left. After the events are resolved, the ITR Specialist makes a health and wellness reommendation to help a survivor integrate back into life, live on purpose and thrive.
- Can be used with both children and adults: This program can be applied to people as young as 3 – or 99. Preverbal traumas to recent events are all addressed and resolved with ITR.
- Can be used for simple, complex, and generational traumas. ITR works the same no matter what the trauma and is effective with in-utero, birth, and preverbal traumas.
Level 101 Intro to ITR
Accelerated Traumatology Course (ATC) 101
The ATC 101 is an introduction to trauma and Instinctual Trauma Response®. This course gives a person mental health first aid skills to de-escalate a situation where an individual is having a mental health challenge with trauma right away. It is perfect for mental health practitioners, chaplains, coaches, educators, parents, first Responders, medical professionals, or support staff. This course allows a person to become trauma-effective and parts-informed. This is a prerequisite course for all other ITR courses.
Some of the topic areas include:
- What is Trauma
- The History and Development Instinctual Trauma Response.
- Grounding Yourself or Another Person
- True-Self and Parts Concept
- True Self/Parts Mapping
- What is a Timeline
- Introduction to Graphic Narrative
- Introduction to Externalized Dialogue
- Introduction to ITR Coaching
Level 102 ITR Basic
Accelerated Traumatology Course (ATC) 102
This level 2 course is the second course of the 3 courses to become ITR Certified. It teaches the basic ITR tasks: Graphic Narrative and Externalized Dialogue.
The learners must have completed the ATC 101 (1-Day) before this course. Each learner will have the opportunity to:
- Learn Assessments
- Review Grounding and Safe Place
- Learn how to create a full Timeline and code it
- Learn the difference between Simple, Extended, and Chapter Story Graphic Narratives
- Learn how to conduct a simple Graphic Narrative
- How to conduct a simple Unidentifed/Guided Externalized Dialogue
- Learn how to facilitate ITR with different populations and situations.
This course is open to anyone regardless of licensure. ITR does not regulate the use of the skills learned in this course or any course it provides. It is up to each person to know the laws of their state and the scope of practice allowed at their education level.
A student has 5 group consultation calls with an ITR trainer to review their basic ITR work and qualify to move on to the ATC 103 course. They must present:
- ITR recommended assessments (how to score and interpret them)
- Psycho-education and why ITR works
- A Safe Place sample with a description and guidelines used
- Concepts of True-Self and Parts with an example of a Parts map
- A Timeline
- A simple (or extended) Graphic Narrative re-presentation (1 needed)
- Show a completed Unidentified/Guided Externalized Dialogue. Use the same Graphic Narrative story if possible (1 needed)
Level 103. ITR Certified® Trauma Specialist or Technician
To become a Level 3 ITR Certified Trauma Specialist (or Technician) a person must complete the ATC 103 and attend the fifteen 1-hour peer group 103+ Advanced Consultation Calls, and pass the exit call to prove competency in advanced ITR skills. This course is designed to take someone beyond the basics to handle complex and compound PTSD. The learner must demonstrate that they understand these concepts during the advanced Consultation Calls and the exit call.
We recommend level 103 students do their own trauma resolution work to be better prepared for their clients. This can be accomplished by working alone or with another trainee (check out the ITR Community).
You can register to work privately with a trainer and do your own work intensively.
ITR does not regulate the use of these skills and every ITR practitioner is responsible for knowing and following their state's laws.
103 Advanced Consultation Calls:
15 group calls with 2 presentations to prove advanced ITR Skills. A learner must pass the exit call to be an ITR Certified® Trauma Specialist (ITR-CTS) or Technician (ITR-CTT)
Present at least 2 full complex trauma events Extended Stories and/or Chapter Stories and 2 different Externalized Dialogues UnidentifiedPart/Guided and Identified Part/Unguided at least 1 of these) either written, video/audio or play, to prove advanced comprehension of ITR.
Level 103 Re-certification:
The ITR certifications are valid for 2 years. 6 CEs from ITR Training Institute and a private ITR Reboot Call are required every 2 years.
A person ITR Certified® that has been practicing ITR is welcome to just take the Reboot Call and pass to recertify.
Anyone certified before January 2021 who has not been practicing is recommended to take the ATC 103 and Peer Group Consultation calls and pass the Exit Call to be re-certified.
Being certified and a part of the ITR Directory will keep your name/practice current in the ITR Directory. Requirements may be updated in the future
Coming out as Self-paced courses soon!
Learn about the ITR Assessments and why they are so crucial for evidence-based practice.
will find great benefits in using a variety of ITR skills in group work. Learn how to facilitate ITR in a group setting.
Relationships are complicated by trauma. Learn how to work with couples using ITR and offer great tools to heal and grow relationships.
There are different ways to facilitate ITR with children. Learn about the techniques and tools available for children. Many traumas are family-wide. Learn the wonderful ways ITR can be administered with families for very powerful and healing results.
Advanced Military/First Responders 103
Learn to work with those trained to respond to traumatic events. Health workers and first responders are in dire need of psycho-education and traumatic stress relief.
Advanced Psychoeducation 103
Learn the details of how the brain processes trauma and how the ITR works the way the brain works.
Intensive Observation Course 103:
Join an ITR Traumatoligist doing an intensive with a client. This allows the person to observe the intensive style of the ITR Program. This course is private and by appointment only.
Level 104. ITR Certified Traumatologist (ITR-CT)
A Level 4 Certified Traumatologist (ITR-Certified® Traumatologist) must be currently licensed, have at least 2 years of using ITR "clean" as a clinician with frequent consultations, have taken all the ITR available courses, and have the ITR-CTS certification. They can also qualify as an ITR instructor for advanced courses after assisting with the required time. This certification is good for 2 years and requires 6 CEs every 2 years. Call us for more information about becoming an ITR Trainer.SEE ALL LIVE TRAININGS
ITR helps clients address the effects of harm produced by trauma and stop the negative effects from continuing. It’s a trauma treatment approach that honors the whole person."
- Christy Pagels, LPC, ATR-BC
Instinctual Trauma Response®
Discuss opportunities with our traumatology faculty. Contact us today. 800-214-0403